5555 Westminster, Suite #314
Montréal, Quebec, H4W 2J2

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


What is a civil engineer?

A civil engineer is a professional specialized in the design, construction, inspection, and management of construction projects. They ensure that structures comply with safety and regulatory standards.

How to find a structural engineer?

As a structural engineering firm, Genispec provides specialized services in the design, construction, inspection, and management of construction projects. To learn more about our services, you can visit this page or contact us today.

Why should I hire a structural engineer?

Hiring a structural engineer for building structures is essential to ensure strength, safety, and regulatory compliance. Our expertise allows you to design sturdy and durable buildings, taking into account technical, environmental, and budgetary constraints.


What is the role of a building inspector?

A building inspector assesses the condition of real estate, identifying defects and potential issues, then providing detailed reports to clients to make informed decisions about purchase, sale, or maintenance. Discover all our inspection services here.

What is Bill 122 on facade inspection?

Bill 122 on facade inspection is a regulation in Quebec that mandates periodic inspection of the facades of buildings exceeding five stories or 15 meters in height. It aims to ensure public safety by identifying and preventing risks associated with degradation or structural defects of facades. Inspections must be carried out by qualified professionals like Genispec, and the results must be reported to the relevant authorities to ensure compliance with safety standards.

Why was Bill 122 passed?

Bill 122 was passed with the aim of enhancing public safety regarding buildings by requiring standards for periodic inspection of building facades. Its adoption follows tragic incidents involving structural failures of facades, highlighting the need for stricter regulation to prevent such accidents.

When should I conduct a facade inspection?

According to Bill 122, facade inspections must be conducted periodically on buildings exceeding five stories or 15 meters in height. The intervals between inspections vary based on various factors, including the age and condition of the facade, but they typically need to be done every five years. Refer to our dedicated article to know the exact timeframe.

Reserve Fund Study

What is a reserve fund study?

A reserve fund study assesses the long-term financial needs of a property, including future costs for maintenance, repair, and replacement of common elements. This helps owners to plan and establish a fund to address these needs.

Who can conduct a reserve fund study?

In Quebec, a reserve fund study must be conducted by a qualified professional, typically an engineer or architect specialized in building evaluation. For instance, Genispec is qualified to conduct your reserve fund study. Contact us now to get your free quote.

How to calculate the reserve fund for condos?

  1. Hire a professional for a detailed study.
  2. Estimate future repair costs.
  3. Allocate costs among the owners.
  4. Get assistance from Genispec for specialized expertise.

Why should I conduct a reserve fund study now?

Conducting a reserve fund study now is crucial, especially with the implementation of Bill 16 in Quebec. This law mandates preventive planning and adequate funding for the maintenance and repair of common areas in condominiums. By conducting a study early on, you can identify the future needs of your property and ensure that your reserve fund is adequately funded to meet these needs. Contact us for more information.

When to use the reserve fund?

The reserve fund is used to finance maintenance, repair, and replacement work on the common areas of a condominium. It can be used when unexpected repairs are needed or when the common elements of the property reach the end of their useful life. By using the reserve fund proactively, owners can ensure the long-term sustainability and value of their property.

What happens if I don’t conduct the reserve fund study?

Not conducting the reserve fund study can lead to detrimental financial, legal, and reputational consequences. This may involve unforeseen financial risks, premature deterioration of infrastructure, potential disputes among co-owners or with regulatory authorities, as well as a decline in the condominium’s reputation.

Bill 16

What is Bill 16?

Bill 16 is a law passed in Quebec in 2019. This law aims to strengthen governance and management of condominiums, as well as improve transparency and protection for owners. It introduces new requirements regarding reserve funds, management of claims, document retention, and internal regulations, among others.

When does Bill 16 come into effect?

Despite the adoption of Bill 16 in 2019, its enforcement is pending the submission of the draft ministerial regulations. These regulations, which are to be introduced by the Minister of Housing, will specify the details and specific implementation provisions of the law. It is only after the approval of these regulations that the provisions of Bill 16 will officially come into effect.

What impact has Bill 16 had?

Bill 16 has had a significant impact on the condominium sector in Quebec, emphasizing the importance of the reserve fund. This law strengthens requirements for planning and financing the maintenance of common areas in condominiums, thus ensuring the long-term sustainability of properties.


What services does Genispec offer?

Genispec offers a complete range of services in the fields of engineering, inspection, and expertise to meet your building needs. Contact us today to learn more and get professional assistance.

Why should I trust Genispec?

For over 10 years, Genispec has had a team of qualified experts, proven experience, and a commitment to quality! We guarantee personalized and reliable solutions for your projects.

How can I contact Genispec?

To contact us, you can use the following contact information:

  • ? Address: 5555 Westminster, Suite #314 Montréal, Quebec, H4W 2J2
  • ? Phone: (514) 616-5616 (Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm and Friday from 9am to 3pm)
  • ? Email: info@genispec.com

Do you have another question?